Saturday, October 1, 2011

Week 1: Reflections

I consider that using blogs in the English classroom is an important tool that can enhance students’ learning. Nowadays, the technology is becoming more and more common and we should take advantage of the benefits it provides us. What’s more, it gives students the chance to have additional practice and use the language in a real situation sharing information and opinions with peers as well as other people.
Using blogs in an EFL class will be a challenge that I am willing to overcome since this is the first time I post a note and use a blog. I think it will be interesting for all students, and especially for those who tend to be shy in a face to face class. Posting notes will let students gain confidence and have a positive feedback.

At the very beginning, creating a blog seemed to be very hard. I felt like a startled little girl in a huge amusement park without knowing where to go or how to start. However, if people can read this note and add comments to it, it means I’ve succeeded.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Genny
    Super! You did it! Your hard work is paying off, and even though you felt lost, you were not. I promise by the end of the course you will feel like an experienced blogger!
    Great work!
    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Genny,

    I felt very much the same. Before this course, I had never "blogged" before so it felt quite frightening at the beginning.

    I haven't decided yet if I want my students to blog. It might be a good idea. But it is also a lot of work for the teacher. Here we have Robert going into all the blogs and commenting. That seems like loads of work to me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Genny,

    From the moment you started your post you succeeded. and every day in technology you and me will learn new things.

    congratulations and let's learn a lot.

    Have a nice weekend.

    Best regards,

    Yariela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Genny! Congratulations on your first post ever!! I`ve been through that before and I can totally understand how one can feel at the thought at creating a blog for the first time! As I like to say, technology has come to stay and we can`t run away from it, we have to accept its presence and learn how to deal with it! Blogging is a great way to engage students but not the only way. my point is that what matters is that we keep on experiencing different kinds of web tools and apply to our classes the ones we think could work. Not everything is going to fit our students` reality, but perhaps one web tool will be just perfect for them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comments. Creating a blog has been a new experience and the most important part is that this is the beginning of something new.

    I gave you hard work Robert. Thanks for your support. As Avraham said, it seems that you had loads of work.

    Avraham, we can say, "We did it." We are ready to move on the next challenge.

    Thank you Yariela. As you said, we are ready to learn new things. The real challenge will come when we have to use these new web tools in our classes.

    I agree with you Vinicius. I think my new task as a teacher will be to identify my students' needs and the web tools that will fit their reality.

    ReplyDelete