Saturday, October 8, 2011

Week 2: Reflections

 There have been four tasks to work on this week. One of them has to do with the discussion and the reading materials about search engines. I have found visiting the different sites endless but useful because there are sites I will definitely use to plan my classes or suggest my students to use them. It was productive to check the different sites and think about the advantages and disadvantages of each one. Using NoodleTools is definitely not an activity to be done in a week, but enough to know that there is something else beyond Google, which was my main search engine before. I don’t mean I will stop using it though. I like IDEA, and iSeek helped me a lot with the second task, which was about sharing and learning to write objectives following the ABCD style since it narrowed my search.
I have found reading the posts with leaning objectives really absorbing and creating objectives for my class has been a challenging experience since I had to analyze the difference among the four components of Heinich’s ABCD model of writing objectives: Audience, Behavior, Condition, and Degree. I think that following this style will be useful to plan my classes better not only because I will be focused on my objectives, but also because this will help me create objectives that will fit my students’ needs and help them get a higher hierarchy on the Bloom’s Taxonomy of the Cognitive Domain. As a teacher my purpose is to have students learn, use, and master the new language they learn.
Describing one of my classes has made me more aware of my students’ reality and their environment. It keeps me thinking about the possible technology changes that can be implemented and how we can access to them. It’s the beginning of a long way.
I also had the chance to use NoodleTools, Nicenet, Wikiclass, and Jupiter’s grades. All of them had been unknown by me before I took this course and I consider them amazing. I especially liked Jupiter’s grades because it gives a lot of information to parents and students about a person’s performance. It is just wonderful, especially for those parents who cannot go to school for many reasons and cannot keep track of their children’s performance. I would like to know how safe it is, and how I can up load my class’s information.
Week two has been a lot productive, just as the first week. It is true that we never end up learning.

4 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful post. I personally agree with you that ABCD model could make you quite easier to manage your objective as well as your students' needs. After reading your post I thought that you have understood this model thoroughly and you have beautiful next action in order to apply this model for your classes.

    My experience creating my objective two years ago was usually incomplete. I was pretty sure that my objective should work at that time. However, after learning and reading Heinich's ABCD model, I realized that the Condition is one of the important thing that I should provide.

    I am happy for this new knowledge from this course. And, you're right this should be useful for our classes.

    Regards,

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Genny,

    I also like Jupiter Grades a lot. You should see the stuff one can do with it! Have a look here:
    http://jupitergrades.com/about/features.php

    I like the fact that you can import scores from scanner although I have not figures out how that works yet. I also like the possibility of creating seating arrangement charts. All these features are free as can be seen here:
    http://jupitergrades.com/about/comparefree.php

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!, Genny
    Nice too met you!
    Thank you for choosing my blog; it is the first blog at which I am employed. This is my first experience I have, probably I will make some mistakes, but I belong to these persons who do not give up themselves before the difficulties. I agree totally with you, it has been a successful week with many fruits. About the search engines, actually only I was using three of them: Google, yahoo, Internet explorer and also Mozilla Firefox. I will be using these entire Browsers when will be possible. We need some weeks to explore all of them. I also want to give my opinion about objectives, they are really important to use them. Excellent objectives produce great classes,
    Have a nice and excellent day with all your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andy,

    It is true that the ABCD model of writing objectives will be really helpful to plan our classes as well as be focused on the task. We have to keep on practicing writing, using, and evaluating our objectives to know if they fit our students’ needs.

    Hi Avraham,

    Thank you for the link. I have seen Jupiter’s demo tour and read the given information. It is just amazing. However, I will not understand how it works until I try it out. Like any other tool, it will be kind of difficult to use until I get familiar with it. Well, something new and good to use!

    Genny

    ReplyDelete